January 1 2017
Toasted Walnut Pie Crust
There’s something that sounds soooo good to me about nutty pie crusts. Almonds, walnuts, pecans – they all go wonderfully with thicker or custardy pies. Pumpkin pie with a pecan crust? Molasses pie with walnut crust? Yes, please!
This will make one deep dish pie crust.
- 2 1/2 cups Walnuts
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Butter Melted, though if you process it enough, it doesn't matter!
- Chop up the walnuts in the food processor. Try to get it as fine as possible, that will make it easier to press into the pie plate.
- Add in the baking soda, salt, and butter. Pulse until its all mixed together. It should start to clump.
- Pour into pie plate, and press against the edges and bottom of the plate. This should be enough to just cover a deep dish pie plate.
- Toast in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes by itself. Then you can fill it with whatever pie filling and complete cooking.
Share this Recipe